Reports to: Team Leader, Engineering Manager or Branch Manager
Based at: Abbotsford, Vancouver or Victoria Office
Position Purpose: As a Mechanical Designer (Fire Suppression/Fire Sprinkler Designer), you are a fully qualified mechanical technologist/technician/engineer who will work closely with the Team Lead/Project Manager, completing various engineering tasks in projects, and contributing to the technical competence and production requirements of the discipline. You will also provide exceptional customer service and coordination assistance with internal and external project partners (consultants, contractors, etc.).
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Produce Building Permit and Construction documentation principally for fire suppression projects; and as needed, other mechanical projects (HVAC and Plumbing).
- Coordinate with all disciplines, extract and relay relevant information for complex problems.
- Possess strong knowledge of national and local building codes.
- Prepare or assist preparing fee proposals.
- Exercise independent judgement in various engineering tasks.
- Provide guidance to junior design staff, this includes reviewing design and construction documents and ensuring technical standards are met.
- Take part in the internal quality control process.
- Share design expertise with other offices.
- Prepare technical design for a variety of the following:
- Detail design of Fire Suppression Systems including design layout and hydraulic calculations,
- Equipment selections and specifications, and
- Draft and review systems using AutoCAD and Revit MEP.
- Effectively resolve mechanical conflicts with contractors during the construction phase.
- Resolve technical issues and cost implications.
- Conduct regular construction administration tasks such as site reviews and write site review/site instruction/change order reports.
- Discuss design and construction issues with the City inspectors.
- Adhere to the company and client safety policies and practices.
- Work effectively with designers/engineers with other offices.